Monday, June 24, 2013

Counting Down, 51 Days, 16 Hours and 59 Minutes

Counting Down, 51 Days, 16 Hours and 59 Minutes

      Now 58 minutes. Needless to say, I'm a little excited for this new journey in my life to begin. I am elated to have the opportunity to join NET ministries this upcoming year. NET ministries (National Evangelization Team) travels across the country spreading the Gospel to youth. I feel called to NET because I have always had a heart for mission work and always pictured myself someday outside the country spreading the gospel in a third world country, but I have heard this quote from a very holy woman and it inspired me to spread God's word within the country: “Stay where you are. Find your own Calcutta. Find the sick, the suffering, and the lonely right there where you are — in your own homes and in your own families, in your workplaces and in your schools. You can find Calcutta all over the world, if you have the eyes to see. Everywhere, wherever you go, you find people who are unwanted, unloved, uncared for, just rejected by society — completely forgotten, completely left alone.” -Mother Teresa 
Now I won't exactly be staying in my hometown, but I will be staying in the country reaching out and meeting youth where they are at in their spiritual life. We get out of our comfy lives with families and jobs and school to staying with host families we haven't met and sleeping on floors (or beds if we are lucky!) that aren't our own to make the youth more at ease in their own comfort zones. 

I am also just a little excited to be traveling all across the United States in a van with 11 other people that I will inevitably get to know very, very well. But I am also pretty nervous and a little scared if I can be honest, it is such a radical change from my current life. I won't have my family and friends right next to me, I can't even imagine how much I will miss my Parents, siblings and all the adopted family I have in Tallahassee (and Perry). I will be leaving my jobs and school. Lastly, my time won't be my own. I'm not used to that I only have a minimal time to talk with people back home and every hour of my day already planned out for me. 

On the other hand, I will have the opportunity to grow very very close to The Lord, which is something that every soul truly desires. I will have prayer time every morning and night, the chance to go to confession and mass on the retreats.  My prayer life will grow immensely and I will be able to meet people all across the country that are following the Lord in our Catholic faith. I have already met quite a few awesome people from NET and I don't even officially start until August. That's pretty awesome if I do say so myself. 

For all the readers, I ask you to please pray for me on my journey and all the youth that we will be reaching out to this upcoming year! 

P.S. 51 days, 16 hours and 20 minutes now :) 

God Bless, 

Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment