Back in November I decided to apply for NET ministries in between my A.A. and my Bachelor Degree not knowing what major to pick. (what better way to take off a year to discern then spreading the gospel to the future generation of the church?) Not even expecting a call back because of the long waiting list for women. I shut my laptop and forgot about it. The next day I saw I had a missed call and immediately called back expecting for them to tell me thanks for applying and try again next year. to my surprise it was the head recruiter asking me to come to an interview in Saint Paul, MN! As soon as I hung up I called my brother who was the one really pushing me to apply. I made the trip to the my parent's farm and told my them that I had been asked to fly up for an interview. I expected them to push me to finish college then revisit the idea, but they were beyond supportive and loving, An awesome gift. It had all been planned out, I was going to MN, check out the HQ for NET and it was that easy. Riiiight.
Then I got Mono. Ah... the most painful and tiring month and a half of my life. Laying on a mattress on the floor of the living room crying from the pain in my throat was not how I planned to spend my Christmas vacation. With the mono came a enlarged spleen which takes a lot longer to heal then the pain in my throat, and you have to be very careful not to even sneeze too hard or you will end up taking the long 45 minute drive to the ER. After three or four blood tests and me not healing as soon as the doctor wanted me to, I figured NET was out of the question for this upcoming year.
But even after I healed and went back to work, I wasn't ready to accept that. It was still on the back burner in my mind. My brother kept calling and urging me to just call NET and see if there was any way that I could do a phone interview and he would put it in a good word for me. But I had read the rules and all the FAQ's, I knew that you had to actually come for the interview.
About two weeks later I went the Catholic Student Union's Spirit Nite on discernment. Michael Williams, a former NETer came to speak about discernment and how he ended up joining NET. I felt like he was talking directly to me, though we had never met he was describing my situation almost exactly. I couldn't listen anymore and went to the Chapel to pray and ask the Lord why this has been brought back up in my heart if it wasn't a possibility. I prayed for guidance and clarity.
The next day I had a meeting with my spiritual advisor and she lovingly pushed and shoved me to call and just see if it was still a possibility to even come for a interview. As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot of Bruegger's I called and explained my situation to the recruiting team, they only had one interview weekend left. One. In Ohio.The same weekend I was supposed to visit my brother in New Jersey. I went home and signed up. I didn't know where I was going to come up with the money for both trips but I signed up.
My prayer was that if I really was called to just go to the interview the money would come. It did. I worked for the busy season making rosaries for a CSU alum. And when the time came for the trip I had enough money to go Ohio and New Jersey! My boss said "You can thank Mama Mary for that one!" Absolutely.
I drove up to Ohio through the night (probably should have planned that better by getting some sleep and not drinking too much caffeine) I made it to the interview with an hour to spare. The weekend went great, I met awesome people and I really, really loved the charism of NET and how the retreat flowed. As soon as the retreat/interview was over I drove to NJ and got some awesome quality time with my bro. Two days later I got the call from NET inviting me to join them on the 2013-2014 team! (WOOT WOOT!)
It wasn't a simple journey but I am grateful that it wasn't because I really appreciate how I can see God working in every person involved and every thing through the entire journey that isn't over yet. It's really awesome to 100% know that this is what I'm called to do this next year and I am overjoyed that it is becoming a reality.
I want to ask you for your prayers for me and my team this upcoming year and for the youth that we reach out to and I will keep you all in my prayers.
Peace and God Bless,
Amanda
Aw, thanks for sharing! I had no idea you were so sick and in that much pain. I'm glad these things worked out for you and will be praying that you can share the good news of Christ with many, many folks this year!
ReplyDelete